Friday, November 10, 2017

Wonder Woman 34 Justice League Variant Cover Step by Step Part 3 Color


The cover to Wonder Woman #34 by Rachel Dodson and me - ships this week!

Here's how we made the cover.

Part 3

COLOR

FLATS


The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.


I try to adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 


Beginning slightly tweaking colors

INITIAL COLOR (ROUGH IN)

I colored this on my Cintiq 22 HD using Photoshop CS3 .



Using the GRADIENT Tool I put in the sky and using the Pencil Tool at 100% to rough in the clouds, as this background is kinda important to the FEEL of the piece.

Next....


I rough in quickly all the medium lights and darks on the figures and cast initial shadows.

Using the Pencil Tool at 100% to knock those in.


I also use the Pencil Tool at about 40% Yellow for the Rim Lighting on the left side of Diana

REFINING THE COLORS


Using a custom brush I added depth to the clouds and refining the shadow in the background using the LASSO tool for the shapes.

COLORING THE LINE ART


This is the icing on the cake step of the process.

I colored a lot of the characters black lines, notice the lips, flesh outline and the rocks and clouds in the background.

REFINING MORE...


You can see I pushed the color of the lineart...


more into the details and the rim light on Dianas hair...

FINAL COLOR


I turn Diana's eyes to brown and voila...

done!

Previously

PART 1


PART 2



TD

No comments:

Post a Comment