Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Star Wars #38 Step by Step Part 1 Pencils

Our variant cover for Star Wars #38 - out now from Marvel Comics - a chance to draw Luke and Leia and X-Wings and Jedha!

Check out how we made it.


COVER SKETCH

The cover concept I sent into Marvel Comics Editors Heather Antos and Jordan White and Lucasfilm for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.

I had a pretty idea of what I wanted to with this one so you can so I set up a pretty simply design with just some editorial tweaks for background figures.




INITIAL PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue on 12" x 18" Bristol Board 



Quickly roughed in the drawing making sure the composition still help.

I printed out my rough in light blue on the paper to ensure the composition was positioned correctly.


Now that I'm happy with the layout I proceed to penciling - using Staedtler HB lead.


Pretty happy with how this looks compositionally, etc so just keep plugging away!


I draw Leia out of my head and find 3 different photos for both her and the X-Wing in approximately the same position to check for correctness.


I find ref for Luke's blaster and also change his outfit slightly as per editorial.


Using Pitt S Pen to tighten up blaster details.


And here to help Rachel see what I'm doing better...


And a look at the actual pencils...

NOTE - I changed Leia's eyes to look more at camera... I had fought this a bit because none of my ref did this but I knew all along this was the RIGHT way to go,  just had to IGNORE the reference!


And the scan of the pencils....


Next time, 

PART 2

INKS 

TD

2 comments: