Friday, July 7, 2017

Astonishing X-Men #1 Cover Step by Step Part 1 Pencils

Here's the Astonishing X-Men #1 Variant Cover featuring Fantomex and Psylocke!

By Rachel Dodson and Me.

Out now from Marvel Comics.



Now for Part 1 of the Step by Step making of the cover art -

PENCILS



COVER SKETCH

The cover concept I sent into Marvel Comics Editors Mark Paniccia and Christina Harrington for approval.

Roughs were drawn at 2" x 3" in my sketchbook using Warm Grey Copics then colored in Photoshop CS3.


INITIAL PENCILS

Drawn in Light Blue on 12" x 18" Bristol Board 

Quickly roughed in the drawing making sure the composition still help.

I printed out my rough in light blue on the paper to ensure the composition was positioned correctly.


Now that the composition is set and initial drawing in, I moved to my Staedtler HB Lead Pencil.


Since I'm convinced that the figures are good, I go ahead and move to the faces (as that is my strength).


First up is Psylocke - close but no cigar....


Slight tweak on Psylockes faces and bring her hair down.

Start to tighten her "roundness" of figure.

Fantom is in a good position to start finishing.


Work on finishes on the figure of Psylocke and prepping Fantomex.


Decide to push Psylocke's expression a bit more.

Finishes on Fantomex.


Finish the SFX and Psylocke's "wrap".

And nail lighting on Fantomex.


FINALLY get Psylocke's expression! JEEZ! It's either right or wrong - no middle!


DETAIL


FINAL PENCILS

Next time, 

PART 2

INKS

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment