Monday, April 4, 2016

Star Wars #17 Cover - Step by Step Part 2 Colors

The cover art for Star Wars #17 - out now from Marvel Comics, Jason Aaron and Leinil Yu.

See how I colored this bad boy!


Flats

The first stage of color is called flats - flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

Generally, I hire someone to do this for me - a "flatter".


At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece. 

At this point I knew what colors I wanted so it was a matter of rendering from here on out.


Initial color rough in

I colored this on my Cintiq 13 HD using Photoshop CS3 after I scanned the original line art.


I use a Pencil to rough in at 100% of color then use lower % to add lighter and darker values.


Next level of rendering, using the pencil tool plus the gradient tool to smooth out anything that looks odd.



Also, use the Gradient tool to break up some of the flatter areas. 

Now it's time to start converting the black lines to colors and to highlights and reflective color - next time!



TD



No comments:

Post a Comment