Thursday, April 23, 2015

Star Wars: Princess Leia #3 Making of

Here's a look at the making of the cover!



The Cover sketches submitted to Jordan White, the Star Wars Editor at Marvel.

The sketch was drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and pen and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.


The cover pencils by me.

Pencils  drawn in Light Blue and
 HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board.


Detail of the pencils.



Cover inks by Rachel Dodson.

Rachel uses Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable #2 Brush and Higgins Black Magic Ink to ink the covers with.


Details of the inks.


The cover "flats".

The first stage of coloring is to have the art "flatted".

Flatting allows me to choose an area to color at any point throughout the coloring process.

At this stage I go and adjust the colors to their medium value or imprimatura - I use this as the starting point for the piece.


I use  Photoshop CS3 and a Wacom Cintiq 13HD to color with.

Initial rough in 
of the colors - getting the midtone values/colors of the characters in.


The final color art...


after I turn the black line art...

...to color.

And the final comic book cover-



Coming in April from Marvel Comics, written by Mark Waid with art by me, Rachel and Jordie Belliare!

Out in stores now!

Find your local comic retailer 



TD



No comments:

Post a Comment