Monday, September 8, 2014

X-MEN #19 Step by Step PART ONE Pencils


How we made the cover to X-Men #19 (out now from Marvel Comics by Marc Guggenheim and Harvey Tolibao).

As usual we start off with the cover sketches


Editor Daniel Ketchum and I discussed the story - still featuring the X-Men in Space - but went with an "ALIENS" scary type of scenario.

B was picked.

The sketches are drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and pen and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.



Initial pencils of Psylocke and Monet drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board.


I was happy with the drawing itself so wanted to capture the mood of the sketch so I scanned in the drawing and matched the shadows and blacks up with the sketches.


I then printed out that art and used a light board to trace the blacks - marked with an X- in the pencils.


Details of the pencils.

Really happy with how this drawing turned out.

I did a few refinements on the space suits - I took the best elements of the one's on the 18 cover and made a new master suit for this cover.

Next time - Rachel's inks!

You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at 



TD

No comments:

Post a Comment