Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Legendary Star-Lord #1 Variant Cover Step by Step Part ONE Pencils

Here's a look of how we created the Variant Cover to Legendary Star-Lord #1 by Marvel Comics.

The book is out now written by Sam Humphries and drawn by Paco Medina.

So we start off with the initial stage of creating the cover, the pencils...


This is Variant Cover for Midtown Comics - I was given the assignment of Rocket Raccoon hitting on Kitty Pryde with a stunned Star-Lord entering the scene -  fun stuff!

These are sketches I sent in to Mike Marts at Marvel.

These were drawn at 2x3 inches in my sketchbook in pencil and Pitt/Pigma pens and Copic Grey Markers and then cleaned up and colored in Photoshop.




This is one of those covers where I know exactly what I want so I dive straight into it!

My  initial pencils, drawn in Light Blue and HB lead on 12 x 18 Bristol Board. I was happy with everyone but wasn't sold on Kitty Pryde's expression and this cover is all about acting...


So did some refining and a 2nd pass on Kitty, but the expression was good - she got a little too goofy looking.


So, my 3rd attempt at Kitty - success!

Nailed down the rest of the details - easy!!!


Details

Next time - Rachel's Inks!

You can find this comic at your local comic book retailer


And digitally at 



TD

No comments:

Post a Comment